18th Century

By 1748 the fabric of the church had become so dilapidated that “the parishioners could not attend services without great danger to their lives”, and extensive building works were necessary which reputedly cost £1,366. The south aisle was rebuilt with flintwork facing onto the High Street. At this time wooden piers were installed on the north side of the nave to match the stone pillars on the south side.

18th C piers