St Michael’s church has very significant townscape interest with its knapped flint south aisle (rebuilt 1748) abutting the north side of Lewes High Street, and lying beneath the castle. The narrow shingled spire is visible for miles around. It is listed Grade 1.

The oldest parts of the church are the west wall and round tower at the west end which date from the 13th century. Inside a 14th century arcade of octagonal piers separates the south aisle from the nave. In 1748 this was matched on the north side by wooden piers.

In 1878 the church was transformed from a preaching box with the addition of an apse and further reordered under the influence of the Oxford Movement. Much of the current furnishing was introduced at that time, for example the reredos behind high altar (J L Pearson), and many stained glass windows (Henry Holiday). The east window was replaced in 1987 (Marguerite Douglas-Thompson). The organ was restored in 1979.

The most recent works were redecoration and relighting in 2011, repairs to the steps to the churchyard and the addition of a metal handrail and gate to the boiler house steps in 2012, a deaf loop and sound systems and major roof repairs in 2014.

Church Plan
Church Plan